Season 12 (1995-1996)[edit | edit source]
- This is the most popular season with the grid set. A new version of the globe intro was used at the beginning of this season. This time, the Jeopardy! logo in 3D gave a yellow and orange gradient with a white shadow sliding out on the Jeopardy! globe, which is light blue. The globe explodes, and the Jeopardy! logo zooms in by cutting through the "A" to reveal the 1991-1996 set. An Atlanta 1996 logo can be seen during the introductions on Olympics tournament episodes.
- On Olympics tournament episodes, the Atlanta 1996 logo appeared, followed by the Jeopardy! logo.
- The closed captioning bug was removed from the opening credits, but it was only used on Olympics tournament episodes.
- At the beginning of this season, the sound of the studio audience chattering is no longer heard, so Johnny said: "This is Jeopardy!", But the chattering was only used on Olympics tournament episodes, as well as the Tournament of Champions.
- This is the last season where the contestants names appear in gold Korinna font.
- This is also the last season where Alex enters the Jeopardy! set during most of the grid set run.
- This is also the last full season to use the 1991-1996 grid set.
- This is also the last full season where the contestant podium monitors turn red for Double Jeopardy!.
- This is the last full season with the closing animations between Alex and the day's winners.
- This is also the last season where the Jeopardy! logo appeared in the copyright card.
- This is also the last season where the sponsor list and the closing credits appear in Korinna font.
- Johnny did a slight variation on the Jeopardy! opening catchphrase starting on the July 15, 1996 episode: "An official sponsor of the 1996 Olympic games, this is Jeopardy!" The sound of the audience chattering had returned at the beginning of the show.
- Season 12 of Jeopardy! kicks off on September 4, 1995.
- On the October 31, 1995 episode, Vanna White from Wheel of Fortune appeared in the clues for the "Halloween/Costume" category.
- The Senior Citizens Tournament was held for the last time in December of 1995.
- The College Championship was held in February for the first time in 1996, taking turns for the Teen Tournament in this season.
- On the May 17, 1996 episode, the second final game of the 1996 Teen Tournament was to determine the overall winner between Derek Bridges and Amanda Goad. Derek had a high enough score going into Final Jeopardy! to wager for the win but mistakenly wagered for the tie, rather than the win. Both of them took home $31,200. Amanda Goad responded correctly and went on to become a 1996 Teen Tournament winner.
- On the July 15-18, 1996 episodes, the Olympics tournament are held, followed by the last episode of the 12th season of Jeopardy!, which is the season finale, that aired on July 19, 1996.
- Season 12 of Jeopardy! wraps up on July 19, 1996.
- Summer reruns air from July 22-August 30, 1996. Reruns later air on weekends from 1996-1997 and then on Game Show Network between 1999 and 2001.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.